I began my week by reviewing the scripture from Lectionary from Acts 5 for Sunday and got this:

"When they heard that, they were furious and wanted to kill them on the spot. But one of the council members stood up, a Pharisee by the name of Gamaliel, a teacher of God's Law who was honored by everyone. He ordered the men taken out of the room for a short time, then said, "Fellow Israelites, be careful what you do to these men. Not long ago Theudas made something of a splash, claiming to be somebody, and got about four hundred men to join him. He was killed, his followers dispersed, and nothing came of it. A little later, at the time of the census, Judas the Galilean appeared and acquired a following. He also fizzled out and the people following him were scattered to the four winds.

38-39"So I am telling you: Hands off these men! Let them alone. If this program or this work is merely human, it will fall apart, but if it is of God, there is nothing you can do about it—and you better not be found fighting against God!" (The Message)

A leader from my church who just was elected in January came to me and said he wanted to resign. he couldn't take it anymore. He couldn't take the behavior of a few people trying to hold onto the past much like the Israelite people wanting to go back to Egypt. But rather than just complain they have begun to attack not only me but others who want the church to be what God calls it to be. I tried to talk him out of it and he may change his mind. But if not I completely understand. I have been dealing with it for almost three years now. In my opinion people are fighting God. They would rather worship the calf than wander. They would rather fight me and each other instead of letting all pan out to see if it is from God or from humans.

I fear for the church ans specifically the United Methodist Church. We seem to have lost our way on all levels. Here I am in a local church fighting to keep something they hope God will bless, rather than seeking the current reality and trusting that God will provide if the vision changes. Trading old mortar for new does not work. But the lines have been drawn, secret meetings held, pastor/staff/elected leaders left out of the loop. All because why? We value what we can see rather than what we can't. Which begs the question do we not get what Easter is and Holy Week are about?

If what I am proposing that I believe God has given me to share for the people of God here, works then it was of God. If not then it was not of God. It is about prayer and discernment along the way not pushing an agenda.

Part of what is happening here is described in a blog written by a person I follow on Twitter, Jonathan Pearson. he can say it better than I can.

http://jonathanpearson.net/2010/04/499/

All I would ask is prayer for my self to be able to held the leaders stay strong and hang in. The wilderness is a scary and lonely and frustrating place. We can't afford to to waste time with golden calves. God has better plans for us.

Is this what Moses felt like?

|